5,890 Boko Haram members have surrendered, says DHQ

September 3, 2021

1.9 min readCategories: News

 

 

No fewer than 5,890 members of Boko Haram have surrendered to troops in the Northeast following intensive bombardment of their hideouts, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), has said.

Some 565 of those who surrendered comprising three Commanders, four Amirs, five Nakibs and others have been handed over to the Borno State Government for further management after profiling them.

Acting Director, Defence Media Operations (DMO), Brig-Gen. Ben Onyeuko, who released the information, said the kinetic and non-kinetic approaches adopted in the prosecution of the counterinsurgency war were yielding fruit.

“Within the period under review, troops of Operation Hadin Kai sustained their operations to terrorists in the North East theatre,” he said, adding, “Within the last few weeks, more than 5,890 terrorists comprising foot soldiers and their commanders have surrendered with their families to our troops in the North East Zone.”

Army spokesman Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu also said troops of 25 Brigade, on Wednesday, killed four terrorists of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) who were on espionage on Damboa-Bulabulin-Maiduguri Road.

He said the terrorists ran into a patrol team at Kukawa and were neutralised in a shootout with the troops.

According to him, the gallant troops recovered four AK 47 rifles and four magazines, each loaded with 30 rounds of 7.62mm (Special), ammunition from the troops after further exploitation.

Nwachukwu also said that troops of 195 Battalion, Sector 1 OPHK in conjunction with elements of Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), at Dusman-Muna Garage, also eliminated two terrorists in an ambush along an identified terrorists crossing point at Musari village.

He added that the troops captured and destroyed an ISWAP logistics vehicle conveying assorted goods and contraband items belonging to members of the terrorist group.

Brig.-Gen. Bernard Onyeuko said troops of Operation Hadarin Daji arrested 81 bandits, their collaborators and other criminal elements in the last three weeks across the Northwest Zone.

He said 33 kidnap victims were rescued and 15 bandits killed by the troops during the period.

Suspected armed robbers were equally neutralised while 13 bandits’ informants were arrested.

Onyeuko said the operations were conducted in various locations in Zamfara, Katsina and Sokoto states.

He said troops of Operation Safe Haven arrested 20 suspected violent criminals in Plateau, adding that they had been handed over to the prosecuting agency.

The Nation

download the starnews app

About the Author: Starnews NG

Leave A Comment

CBN eases circulation of banknotes, instructs banks to open Saturdays, Sundays

BREAKING: Appeal Court Upholds Adeleke’s Election As Osun Governor

Mass Electoral Failure: PDP group demands sack of Ondo Exco

UN showcases young female Nigerian tech innovators

Tinubu had no secret meeting with CJN — Bayo Onanuga

I didn’t see myself handing over to Tinubu, Buhari reportedly tells close associates

Chasing shadows won’t rebuild PDP, Ortom attacks Ayu

I’ve never told anyone I’ll die soon – Odumeje

My suspension by Ayu will have no leg to stand in a matter of days — Fayose

Pastor Arrested For Telling Mother To Kill Her Children To Please God

Recent Tweets