Ondo: Popular Hotel Staff, Two Others Arrested For Stealing Gold Necklace Worth N16m

The Ondo State Police Command has arrested three suspects, including a staff of a popular hotel in Akure, over the theft of gold necklaces valued at more than sixteen million naira.

The police said the arrests were part of a broader effort to rid the state of crime, which also saw over one hundred other suspects apprehended in August for various offences ranging from armed robbery and kidnapping to cult-related attacks, drug trafficking, and financial fraud.

According to the Commissioner of Police, Mr Adebowale Lawal, one of the suspects, identified as Gbenga Segun Ojo, allegedly stole a gold necklace worth ₦5,155,000 on August 13, 2025, and sold it to one Garuba Jubril for ₦3,084,000. Both men have been arrested and are currently in police custody.

In a similar case, another suspect, Ajayi Temitope, a staff member of Dejavu Hotel in Alagbaka, Akure, was arrested for stealing a guest’s gold chain valued at ₦11 million on June 22, 2025.

The police said investigations are ongoing to trace and recover the stolen property.

The police also paraded a suspected fraudster who allegedly orchestrated a ₦10 million scam in the Oloko area of Akure.

The suspect was said to have lured his victim under the pretense of selling scrap materials, but after collecting the huge sum of money, it turned out that the deal was fraudulent. The suspect has confessed to the crime and further revealed that he acted alongside an accomplice based in Lagos.

The police disclosed that they have already frozen the stolen funds to prevent further dissipation and are working to apprehend the Lagos-based partner.

See also  Police Foil Kidnap Attempt, Nab 2 Suspects in Akwa Ibom

In another development, the police said they arrested 87-year-old Chief Kogbona, who allegedly supplied arms to a gang of robbers. During the arrest, ten live cartridges were recovered from the suspects connected to him.

The police also disclosed that they intensified a clampdown on vehicles with suspicious or illegal registration details. Among those impounded were five cars with tampered chassis and vehicle identification numbers, one vehicle bearing a fake NANS plate number, a stolen spy police number plate previously used in transporting illicit drugs, and an official government plate number illegally used for carrying contraband goods.

The command further reported that on August 20, 2025, two staff members of Alaro Motorcycle Company in Akure betrayed the trust of their employer by stealing goods valued at ₦935,000.

The suspects confessed to selling the stolen items, and efforts are underway to recover the property and arrest the buyers.

Speaking on the overall security situation, CP Lawal explained that the command had arrested no fewer than 100 suspects across the state within the month of August.

The suspects, according to him, were involved in crimes such as kidnapping, murder, armed robbery, cultism, unlawful possession of firearms, drug trafficking, theft, vandalism, and financial fraud.

He commended the residents of Ondo State for providing useful information that aided the arrests, stressing that the command would remain vigilant in ensuring that the state is unsafe for criminals but safe for law-abiding citizens.

The commissioner described the series of arrests as evidence of the resilience and professionalism of the officers and men of the command.

See also  UNIMEDTH Begins Recruitment of Medical Specialists(Check List)

He added that the achievements were also made possible by the strategic direction of the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, whose leadership has continued to inspire greater dedication within the force.

He assured that the Ondo State Police Command would sustain its current momentum and work tirelessly with other security agencies to protect lives and property, as well as safeguard the economic wellbeing of residents.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RUGIPO Fire Incident: No casualty recorded – Management

Golden Opportunity: Ontario Opens Doors to 468 New Immigrants

Villagers Fleeing From Death Meet Tragic Fate: 15 Lives Lost in Zamfara Boat Capsize

Ondo: Popular Hotel Staff, Two Others Arrested For Stealing Gold Necklace Worth N16m

Breaking: Ex-IGP Solomon Arase Dies At 69

SDP Emerging as Stronger Opposition in Ondo — IPAC

RUGIPO Fire Incident: No casualty recorded – Management

Golden Opportunity: Ontario Opens Doors to 468 New Immigrants

Villagers Fleeing From Death Meet Tragic Fate: 15 Lives Lost in Zamfara Boat Capsize

Breaking: Ex-IGP Solomon Arase Dies At 69