Ajayi was born on September 24, 1968, to the family of Chief Newton Ajayi, a native of Kiribo Town in Ese Odo Local Government Area of Ondo State and Mrs Rebecca Ogunjinte (nee Olubusade), a native of Ondo Town in Ondo West Local Government of Ondo State.
Ajayi hails from Kiribo Town of Western Apoi tribe in the Ese Odo Local Government. He had his Primary and Secondary Education in Kiribo and Bolorunduro communities of Ese-Odo Local Government Area. Agboola had his academic foundation solidly rooted in these communities before pursuing University Education to study Law degree at Igbinedion University, Okada in Edo State and graduated with Bachelor of Law (LL.B)with Second Class Upper-division, and subsequently received his Call to the bar in 2010 at the Nigerian Law School Abuja
He is the current Deputy Governor of Ondo State and was elected into office on 26 November 2016 as running mate to Governor Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN) under the All Progressive Congress (APC) party.
His Excellency, Hon Alfred Agboola Ajayi, the Deputy Governor of Ondo State, and now the candidate of the Zenith Labour Party (ZLP) in Ondo State ahead of October 10 governorship election, had in various capacities served the good people of Ondo State before becoming the State Deputy Governor.
He was once a member of the House of Representatives in Nigeria, representing Ilaje/Ese-Odo Federal Constituency 2007–2011 and he was the Chairman, House Committee on NDDC during his reign. He was a one time elected councillor, Supervisory councillor, a caretaker chairman, and also an elected council chairman of Ese Odo Local Government Area of Ondo State.
Agboola Ajayi’s Achievements in Public Offices
- He Facilitated the Ugbo/Ughoye road project of N19.5B to Ilaje as Chairman House Committee on NDDC.
- He facilitated the sand filling of Moluteyin town in Ilaje Local Government into NDDC’s budget.
- He also includes the Agadagba/Arogbo bridge into NDDC’s budget.
- He gave out over 50 cars and 150 motorcycles in a day to his constituents.
- He procured equipment for all the artisans in Ilaje/Ese Federal Constituency during his reign as member of House of Representatives.
- He did empowerment for traders under Ilaje/Ese Odo Federal Constituency by giving out money to his constituents as a start-up and working capital.
- He facilitated employment for over 170 citizens of Ondo South into various federal government agencies during his reign as House Committee on NDDC.
- He is paying WAEC fees to all the students in Kiribo town from the day he was elected member of the House of Representatives and he continues in this gesture till date.
- He employed over 110 citizens into the services of Ese Odo local government council during his reign as the council chairman.
- He did all the major projects in Ese Odo Local Government ranging from footbridges, drainages, construction of classrooms, grading of community roads and maintenance of roads as a council chairman.
- It may also interest you to know that Ajayi sponsored and financed election over of nine State Lawmakers into the Ondo State House of Assembly – part of the reason it is difficult for the state governor to impeach him after he fell apart from his boss, Mr Rotimi Akeredolu, citing the domination of government affairs by Akeredolu’s family, poor performance, and other irreconcilable issues between him and his boss.
- Currently, as the state deputy governor, over 100 citizens of Ondo State are on his monthly payroll which is not official but personal.
Why Ajayi wants to be governor
Ajayi opted to contest the election under the aegis of ZLP to put practical effect to the expectations of the people who obviously are not enamoured by the options offered by the two major parties, the APC and the PDP.
According to Ajayi, his ambition to govern the state was borne out of the people’s yearning for representative democracy, governance and development in its true essence.
Banji Okunomo, a chieftain of the ZLP also attested to this in one of his interviews on Channels Television. A former Speaker of Ondo State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Jumoke Akindele also confirmed the fact that Ajayi is the best option in the practical administration of scarce resources to better the lives of the peoples.
Why Ondo State Electorates Should Vote Agboola Ajayi
- If elected governor of Ondo State, Ajayi has promised to reduce tuition fees of all tertiary institutions in Ondo State from N200,000 to N50,000. He is the only candidate who mentioned a specific amount on the reduction of tuition fees in his education policies – a sign of sincerity.
- If elected governor, he promised to make education free for Ondo State Students from primary school to secondary levels. Ajayi is the only one who promised this and was very emphatic about it.
- Ajayi is committed to free health care services. In his policy, he has declared free health care services for all our children in Ondo State.
- Ajayi, is the only candidate who promised the prompt payment of salaries to all civil servants in Ondo State on the 24th of every month. he was very specific about the date and no other candidate was specific about this date by picking a date as Ajayi did.
- The candidate of the ZLP, Agboola Ajayi, is the only man who promised adequate funding for our Tertiary Institutions and also promised to set up a committee to look at the alternative sources of funding tertiary education in Ondo State. Just like Banji Okunomo said, Ajayi is ’talk and do personality”.
- In 100 days, Agboola Ajayi has promised to put an end to the total blackouts in Ondo South which has paralysed the economy of the Senatorial District.
- He is committed to fixing all bad roads across the 18 local governments of Ondo State.
- Ajayi is the only governorship candidate who promised to industrialise Ondo State and move the economy from a civil servant state to an industrial hub where the government will no longer depend on Federal Allocation to survive.
- On Agriculture, he has promised to give out soft loans and empowerment for our farmers in Ondo State.
- No more capital flight in Ondo State according to Ajayi. Our local contractors would be strictly engaged for business. Traders and Artisans would be empowered.
- In the labour sector, Ajayi has promised to declare massive recruitment of unemployed youths in Ondo State. He was the only one who promised recruitment of unemployed youths after six months in office as Ondo State Governor.
Note: This documentary was put together by Starnews Nigeria television but sponsored by Agboola Ajayi Support Group.
For your documentary, and event coverage, contact Starnews Nigeria on WhatsApp on 08067386539.