There’s No Place In Law For Spouses To Just “Sign Divorce Papers” And End Their Marriage, And Walk Away – Legal Practitioner, Inibehe Effiong Educates Nigerians

There is no place in law for spouses to just "sign divorce papers" and end their marriage, and walk away. It is a legal fiction popularized by Nollywood. Every divorce case MUST go through trial process. Oral evidence must be given before a marriage is dissolved. Divorce cannot be granted by consent of parties. This is based on public policy and the need to uphold the sanctity of marriage. However, ancillary reliefs like custody of children and settlement of properties can be settled out of court and resolved by consent of parties. A client in one of the divorce cases

Go to Top