Lekki Shootings: Soldiers’ barracks have been identified, says Falana
October 27, 2020
Human Rights Activist, Femi Falana (SAN), says the Alliance on Surviving COVID-19 And Beyond, has commenced an investigation into last Tuesday shootings of protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos State.
Falana, who is the Chairman of the group, said ASCAB has so far identified the barracks where the soldiers who opened fire on protesters were deployed from.
He made this known on Monday in an interview with Arise TV monitored by The PUNCH.
Falana, who insisted that soldiers were deployed to the demonstration ground last Tuesday, said, “We have already identified the barracks where the soldiers left for Lekki, we have already identified the barracks.”
He, however, did not reveal the details of the barracks.
Falana added, “The President was likely to have been told soldiers were ordered so I want to believe that’s why it was not addressed. They said it was a rumour but I think the facts are emerging now, that indeed soldiers went to Lekki, indeed they fired at protesters and indeed some of the protesters at least two have been officially acknowledged to have died from gunshot wounds.”
The Senior Advocate of Nigeria also lambasted the Federal Government for lacking respect for the rule of law and citizens’ rights to protest.
He said, “The Nigerian government has no respect for the rule of law and has ensured they stave off all forms of protests in the country.
“Every designated venue for protest in the country have been fenced by the government to prevent demonstrations.
“In Lagos, the Gani Fawehinmin Square has been fenced while the Unity Fountain in Abuja has also been fenced, and the same government has said citizens have the right to protest.”
Tuesday night attack has been condemned by both local and international human rights organisations and personalities.
WP Post Author
Leave A Comment