The Candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for the house of assembly election in Ondo West Constituency I, Mr. Oladapo Abiola, has rejected the outcome of the house of assembly election held on March 9, 2019, by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), saying it does not refelect the wishes of the people.
In petition addressed to the State Resident Electoral Commissioner of INEC in Akure , Oladapo called for the cancellation of the election, asking INEC to conduct fresh election in Ondo West constituency I.
The full statement reads:
I, Oladapo Abiola, the Candidate and flag bearer of the Peoples Democratic Party in the Ondo West Constituency 2 house of Election held on Saturday 9th March 2019 as conducted by your commission hereby on behalf of myself and the party (PDP) hereby reject the outcome of the election premised on the conducted result announced and call for cancellation and conduct of fresh elections.
I and the party rejects the results of the Assembly election into the House of Assembly in Ondo West Constituency 2, state constituency which declared Adewale Adewinle Williams the winner.
We call for the conduct of fresh elections, as the one conducted yesterday 9th March was full of irregularities.
Our stand is premised on the following grounds:
1. Harassment and intimidation of voters that scared them away from performing their civil duties.
As early as 7am before the commencement of the polls and subsequently on its process, thugs loyal to the candidate of the APC in connivance through acting ignorant and in some other instances glaring collaboration went about to harass leaders and people loyal to other parties making sure that they are prevented from accessing the voting points.
This was so brazingly done that even in some polling units, people were been flogged and pursued from the voting line thereby compromising the integrity of the polls and causing apathy.
2. Our agents were abducted and released after the elections while others were physically attacked. It is on record that in some polling units especially in the rural areas of ward 6, 4 and 12, our agents and supporters were chased into the bush.
3. There were manipulations and irregularities that characterized the conduct of the exercise which affected and marred the outcome of the results as well as the deliberate refusal to use electronic card readers in the interior parts of the constituency where security men were not even physically sighted neither was telecommunications network of any kind.
4. Brazing act of votes buying took place yesterday in some wards of the constituency where votes were been openly bought by the agents of the APC with connivance of the security agents who were reported to and turned a deaf ear. Pictures to this effect are available
5. Our agents were held at gun point and under duress to sign the results as concorted in a bid to validate the arson and electoral fraud that was committed.
It is for this cause that we vehemently reject the result as collated and announced and call for fresh elections where the electoral rules and guidelines will be strictly adhered to.
Justice must not only be done but seen done.
No society will thrive where the will of the people is been forcefully taken and the majority subdued to the whims and wishes of a few.
Ondo West Constituency 2
Ondo state Director of the DSS,
Commissioner of Police, Ondo State
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission
Osemawe in Council
State Commandant, NSCDC
The Nigerian Army